Monday, July 16, 2012

Le Tour de France

My alarm jolted me awake at 6am, I was still tired due to my 1am bedtime and beaucoup du vin at the Grand Aïoli the night before.  Although I could have very easily just rolled over and resumed my slumber, I was excited to get the day underway.

Today was Bastille Day, France's independence day but more importantly Le Tour de France was passing by just 60 miles from my house.  I had decided to ride my bike over to a vantage point on the race and experience Le Tour first hand.

After dressing and getting my bike prepared, I went down to the boulangerie and picked up a brioche and a pain au chocolat and headed over to the Café du Progrès for a grand café crème to go with my breakfast.  Energized by breakfast and madame Carmen's terrific coffee, I got underway, seen off with shouts of "Bon courage!!" from the regulars at the café.

It was a cool morning and for the first time since arriving here, the skies were overcast.  Luckily traffic was light because of the national holiday and my outbound journey which took me west past Cavaillon and skirting Avignon to the south went by without any problems. After crossing the Rhone river near Aramon, I headed Northwest to the town of Uzès.

Uzès was hopping as it was market day and the tour was also coming through town later that day.  Crowds of people were already lining the streets, staking out their spots with picnic tables and chairs.  Food and wine were being enjoyed in a festive spirit even though it was only 10am.  I didn't spend any time in Uzès but may return as it looked like an interesting little town.

From Uzès I rode the actual race route (though in the opposite direction) to Saint Laurent La Vernède where I planned to await the riders.  Although just 13km in length, this part of the ride was a lot of fun as it was lined with thousands of people, many of whom were happy to cheer me on with shouts of "allez, allez" and "bon courage" as well as a few wry "autre direction!!" ( your going the wrong way).  I thoroughly enjoyed this bonhomie and felt a little more connected to the race and what it means to the French.



After reaching Saint Laurent I circled back along the route and spotted a motorhome with British and English flags flying.  It had a great vantage point to watch the race so I thought I'd stop and say hello to the couple that were sitting outside.



Tony and Sharon were from Liverpool and welcomed me to join them, pulling out another chair for me and offering me a cup of tea, even though it was 85 degrees.  I gratefully accepted and enjoyed a smart cup of PG Tips with some tasty madeleines.

Tony and Sharon had been following the tour for about a week and were full of stories about each stage and all the people they had met along the way.  The days in the alps sounded particularly fun.
After a while we were treated to the spectacle of Le Caravane, essentially a parade of cars and trucks that have been converted into carnival like floats that whizz by and whip up the crowds.



The vehicles each have a different advertising message and are manned by singing and dancing staff who throw out all kinds of goodies to the crowds along the route.  It is fun and crazy at the same time and serves as a great warm up for the race itself.



Two hours later we heard the helicopters that announced the arrival of the riders.  First up were a group that had broken away from the peleton.  The group contained several French riders who were going for glory on Bastille Day!



About 5 minutes later the main group came by.  I managed to snap a few shots capturing Wiggins and Cavendish and then just like that they were gone.



All that riding and waiting and the peleton was by in a few seconds.
Within 10 minutes, everyone was packing up and heading home.  I said my goodbyes to Tony and Sharon and pushed off for return trip taking an easterly route that would take me home via Chateaneuf du Pape where I planned to stop for a late lunch and something red.



It was a really beautiful ride back as I stayed on very minor roads through vineyards of the Cotes du Rhones with virtually no traffic at all.



I had a simple meal on the main square in Chateauneuf and a couple of glasses of Vieux Telegraphe just what I needed for the final 35km back to the house.

I arrived home about 11 hours after I had left, tired but happy.  Almost 120 miles of cycling under my belt and lots of memories to treasure.  It's been a great day.

You can see more of photos from this ride here

No comments:

Post a Comment